The First Pull #60-May 30th
- Congrats to btwb athletes Ellie Turner & Justin Medeiros for qualifying for the CrossFit Games
Ellie dominated the Oceania Semifinal, securing the top position, whereas Justin Medeiros finished fifth in the North America West Semifinal. Both are set to return to Madison this upcoming summer.
- Virtual AI coach helps treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety
In a preliminary trial, a voice-based virtual coach named Lumen was used to provide problem-solving treatment to adults with mild to moderate depression or anxiety. The results showed a decrease in certain neural activity associated with cognitive control in the group receiving the intervention, along with improvements in self-reported problem-solving ability. There was also a notable decrease in scores indicating depression, anxiety, and overall psychological distress. These promising results set the foundation for a more comprehensive future study on the use of digital interventions for mental health.
- Does doing CrossFit longer lead to less injuries?
What is the biggest risk factor when it comes to getting injured in the sport?
Podcasts From The Community
- VNR #112: Working Out or Nutrition… which is more important?
📺 Watch Apple 🎧 Spotify
Working out & nutrition go hand in hand, but is one more important than the other? Pat & Adrian give their thoughts on this topic. Support the Varied Not Random Podcast
- Massenomics- David Thomas Tao of Barbend
In this podcast, David from Barbend discusses topics related to strength training and fitness. He talks coverage of World’s Strongest Man, and their acquisition by Pillar 4.
// COMPETITION & LIFESTYLE
- The Rich Froning Podcast 005- Here’s what happened at Seminfinals
Rich Froning shares his experience of being denied access at the semifinals, leading to him removing his coach’s pass and leaving the event. He emphasizes the need for improved communication between CrossFit and external brands for media coverage and highlights the importance of international representation at the CrossFit Games.
- Linchpin Conversations- Lift heavy + metcon = mediocre results
Pat discusses various topics related to CrossFit. He mention a member’s progress in bar muscle ups and address a coach’s concerns about rushed programming, emphasizing the importance of proper programming and scaling movements.
- Huberman Lab Podcast: Adderall, Stimulants & Modafinil for ADHD
The podcast discusses stimulant medications like Adderall and non-stimulant drugs for treating ADHD, addressing their effects, addictive potential, and similarities to methamphetamine.